IL Insurance Pre-Licensing - Lines of Authority Information

The license to sell insurance is called an Insurance Producer. However, there are lines of authority that permit an insurance producer to sell a certain type of insurance. The most common lines of authority for insurance producers in Illinois are:

  • Life
  • Accident and Health
  • Property (“Fire” on some state documents)
  • Casualty

Other lesser-known lines of authority in Illinois are:

  • Personal Lines
  • Motor Vehicle
  • Variable Contracts
  • Limited Lines

Real Estate Institute offers pre-license education for all major lines of authority, and information on our offering is available here. 

The most common kinds of insurance products sold by property and casualty producers include homeowner’s insurance, commercial property insurance, auto insurance, and various forms of liability insurance.

Life and health producers' most common kinds of insurance sold include life insurance, major medical insurance, disability insurance, long-term care insurance, and annuities.

Articles in this section